Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Marxist Group Participation



My group presentation was for March 17th, the Marxist group. I contributed greatly to the group. First of all, I was integral in planning to meet at a particular time, as well as with Andrew, and we spent a lot of time e-mailing back and forth over our various ideas that we wanted to portray through our presentation. It was Andrew's idea to simulate a real-life market, but I added to and supplemented his ideas with my own and strived to make the presentation representative of capitalism as a whole.
During the meeting time with the group members I was very vocal, as I often am during class, with my ideas for what we should do. I had numerous ideas, such as passing out quotes from Karl Marx to members of the groups and having them interpret them to earn extra marx-cash. I then thought that we should pass out quotes to every individual member of the class, and if they are running low on resources they would then have the option of explaining their quote aloud to the class in order to earn more resources from our group, the so-called "Government". It was also my idea that one group should be the Bourgeoise group and that the rest of the groups should be wage-laborers, or Proletariats.
As far as the division of labor within our group (no pun intended), I took it upon myself to get the fake money that we would distribute amongst the groups, and also to make cookies so I could plan my own small presentation of what a commodity is by showing the intrinsic value of a commodity (ie the cookie). This way the class could get cookies and at the same time learn about how the concept of Value is established according to Karl Marx.
Overall, our presentation was planned in order to let the class members demonstrate their own knowledge of Capitalism and make it fun and interactive, rather than lecturing them about the principles behind the concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment